Saturday, 16 March 2013

1 Star Reviews are mostly opinions. Here's my opinion....

"If you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all." And here's a quote from the movie, 'The Dead Pool', "Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one."


I've been reviewing books for 30 years. I have never once given a 1 star review. Why? Because it hurts the author who has put so much work into his or her book. I've read several that I haven't liked, but, rather than trash the book, I'd skip writing a review, or comment because it's only my opinion. Someone else may love it.

In the beginning when I first published, I'd get a 5 star and post it on Facebook etc., get all excited. Now, I don't even bother because I know the next day I'll get a 1 star anyway that will burst my bubble. So now I try not to read reviews. Publishing 101 states that an author should not read reviews, or especially reply to them. It's too much of an emotional roller-coaster. We all know that friends and family mostly write the 5 stars, that's a given. Who writes the 1 stars? I'm ashamed to say, other authors for the most part and their friends. Twice that I know of, I've been trashed, attacked, cyber bullied, whatever you want to call it, by authors in my genre. I know who they are. It took some time and a computer geek to unravel it, but it can be obtained. Both times, my books were out in front and these guys wanted to heave some dirt on my books to stall sales. At one time I was so tempted to retaliate and I could have lined up 50 friends to trash their books, but I wasn't brought up that way. I can't lower myself to their level. What goes around comes around and all those other cliches.

Most recently one guy, and I know who he is and what books he sells, targeted Cold Blooded Killers and Top Cases of The FBI. I was ripping mad. I could sink his books in one day by calling in friends. But I haven't. But I may. As I said, I wouldn't like to lower myself but I'm still upset. I will wait and see if he targets another book...if he does, I'll let loose and I have a lot of Facebook friends.

Anyway, I'm getting off track here and all excited and pissed off again ha. If an author's book is not selling well, no worries. He won't get any 1 stars. But look out if said book takes off selling and hits some Top 100 paid lists. Then the trashers raises their ugly heads and writes up a few comments...mind you, they aren't reviews, just the bare 20 word minimum so that they can get their 1 star up there. I see this time and time again. I can predict it with my author friend's books start to take off. Why are so many low life authors threatened by someone else's book? Suck it up. Go back to writing, or marketing and GTFU.

Here's another that irks me... I support Indie Authors. I write reviews for them. I read many of their books before they are even published and give them reviews and quotes. It's called helping and supporting each other. One male author criticized me for doing that...said I shouldn't be helping other authors succeed. I'm a very kind and caring person, but I told him to F off and blocked him on FB. I was raised in a christian home where I was taught to always help one another, do a good deed etc. I do that and I've been rewarded multiple times.

Listed below are some 1 star reviews that I think are hilarious. These books are all best sellers and classics. Remember what I said about opinions. Do these people really think they are going to influence someone from buying these books? For the most part, people are intelligent and don't even bother reading reviews and aren't easily influenced. But my God, some people are just downright idiots.

So, when you receive that terrible 1 star review saying that your characters are cardboard, your writing is worse than a first grader's, and all the other horrible crap some people get on with, come over here and read these:



The Diary of Ann Frank
1.0 out of 5 stars BORING, March 8, 2013
By Braden schroeder - See all my reviews
NOT GOOF VERY BORING TO A TEENAGER A A WAS AAAAAAA A A A A A A A A A

The Diary of Ann Frank
1.0 out of 5 stars
was unlike any other book I have read, it was a mix of everything. I don't know why but it didn't seem to keep my intrest. It was slow in the beging and then it kept going down hill. I am kind of disapointed because I am really interest in the Holocaust. I hope to find a better book.

Kill Jill by John Locke
A totally disgusting and stupid book.The avarice, nastiness, humourlessness, cruelty, etc. etc. is astounding. I find nothing in this book to be recommended. Do not buy this book.
(I love it when people say don't buy this book. Do they really think that they have that much influence over another reader?)

Here's an intellectual review for Pride and Prejudice
1.0 out of 5 stars Book, September 21, 2012
By Johnnie - See all my reviews
I did not read the book. I want this book off my kindle. I am getting very angry. very angry.

Pride and Prejudice
1.0 out of 5 stars
Eh this book was okay but i didnt really like it because i didnt understand it very much so eh

"I agree with the other negative reviewers. There is nothing remotely satisfying about any of these books. Not only is the premise of the first book rather disgusting, the second two are just horrible. I had to force myself to finish the third one. I'm posting this here in the first book to save readers some valuable time!" One star review left on The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins

"The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" is a tedious, exasperating, and mind-numbing story. This is my first Mark Twain book, and it's surely to be my last, as I was sorely disappointed. While the grammar and dialect are supposed to be written realistically, I found it cumbersome. The adventures changed constantly, and if Twain had written with one adventure in mind, then my attention span would not have diminished. When Tom Sawyer entered the book permanently, I became irritated, because when he arrived, the story became prolonged and trivial. I feel I wasted my time reading this book. I do not recommend." One star review left on The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain

"The story read like all the sentaces has been thrown it a blender and then reassembled into a book." - One star review left on Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll

"that book is the most boring i have ever read in my life. i regret that i read it and i suggest everybody not reading it. reading that book is absolutely waste of time !!!" - One star review left on Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, by JK Rowling

"This book is the worst book ever. The only reason a person should read this book is if they are forced to or they like to hear about thieves." - One star review left on Oliver Twist, by Charles Dickens


"I thought that this book was totally dumb from beginning to end. It had absolutely no plot whatsoever." - One star review left on Carrie, by Stephen King






Post a Comment